Monday, April 19, 2010

Potent Quotables

My ridiculous last post did actually happen.

Wow. Drunk blogging equals very interesting. Like a drunk dial only to a much larger audience. I also think I discovered drunk facebooking on Saturday. Not so much a discovery as a realization to keep my schnockered face the hell away from a computer or any electronic devices of any sort while inebriated.

However, I did very much enjoy 'Hot Tub Time Machine'. What an emminently quotable movie! How to know a movie is 'quoteable'? Tip #1: A movie is certainly quotable when you can remember quotes while five Captain and Diets deep.

Tip #2: If you hear people quote dialogue from the movie on the subway. Bonus points if your morning latte involuntarily shoots out of a bodily orifice upon hearing the quote.

Tip #3: Can you have a quote battle with friends? To the death? Oh yes, that movie has it!

The Princess Bride



This entire movie is basically just one gigantic quote. From "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die." to "I'm not a witch, I'm you're wife!!!" to "As you wish" this movie is a pantheon of word gold.

Ultimate quotable moment: "MAWWWAGHHHGE. Mawaghge is woht bwings usss togebber todhaaaaay." Alright. Admittedly this quote is truly only a quote because of the freaky priests sublime speech impediment, but it is just oodles of fun to say. Plus, I have actually heard people say this, in public at really odd moments. So this quote wins.

The Breakfast Club



Ultimate quotable moment: "Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?"

Pulp Fiction



Ultimate quotable moment: "SAY WHAT AGAIN MOTHERFUCKER!!!"

My personal quotable moment: When the Wolf (motherfucking Harvey Keitel!) steps in and takes action. "Pretty please, with sugar on top. Clean the fuckin' car."

Anchorman



Ultimate quotable moment: Ok, so it's a toss up because both of these quotes fall out of my mouth on a weekly if not daily basis. "I love lamp." and "Milk was a bad choice!!!"

Wonder Boys



Perhaps not the most well known movie, but one of my personal favorites. If you haven't seen it I highly suggest that you shuffle it up to the top of your Netfix queue if you like any of the following: A perpetually stoned Michael Douglas, transvestites, pink fuzzy robes, greenhouses, Robert Downey Jr, women named Oola, and/or literature. And, oh yeah, it's super quoteable. Thank me later.

Ultimate quoteable moment: James Leer: Now, that is a big trunk. It holds a tuba, a suitcase, a dead dog, and a garment bag almost perfectly.
Grady Tripp: That's just what they used to say in the ads.

The Big Lebowski



Ultimate quoteable moment/quote for any occasion, anywhere, anytime: "The dude abides."

21 comments:

  1. great post! Any reference to The Big Lebowski is enough, but Pulp Fiction also, double good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, The Princess Bride. My bro in law, performed my wedding ceremony, and wanted to do the "T-wue Love" quotes. Made a wedding toast, not ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay what I meant to say: I am definitely checking out Wonder Boys Because...stoned Michael Douglas and Robert Downey Junior does it for me. Question: Why do we have to call him Robert Downey Junior. Why not just Robert Downey. Is Junior his last name and is Downey his middle name? What am I missing. Also, why do I always call him Morton Downey Junior (and then have to delete my comments because I'm like a moron or something).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post marks the 1st positive review I've seen for Hot Tub Time Machine. I liked Dude, Where's My Car and I LOVED Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle. As much as I try to deny it, this does sound like my kind of movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite from "Anchorman" is "Great Odin's Raven!"

    Gets me every time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, yes...Wonderboys! Very quotable. I love that one. :)

    There's Something About Mary is one of my favorites. "Have you seen my baseball?" and "You're not that far ahead, Ted" are stuck in my brain for all eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd say that most of my brother and my bonding time is spent quoting movies/television shows.

    Thanks for the follow :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy shit, great post, dear! I love dueling quotes from my favorite movies, especially The Jerk, Anchorman, any of the Lord Of The Rings movies, and Airplane...hahaha...oh, and of course, the small screen is no exception too...have to love quoting Simpsons and The Office lines...hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this post, ha ha! Danny and I have so many quotes woven into our inside jokes that I think we must be impossible to understand at times.

    We also seem to pick up movie accents, for some reason. For the first year of our relationship, we spoke almost entirely like Nacho Libre. :D

    Loved this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No more rhymes and I mean it! Anybody want a peanut?

    and

    Inconceivable!!

    and

    Have fun storming the castle!

    Princess Bride is in my top ten list as is Pulp Fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love movie quotes, though I have to say I'm not usually up to date on quotes from the latest movies. Usually by the time I get around to seeing the movie everyone's moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Princess Bride. I can win a quote battle any day since it was my favorite movie as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Pat Tillet: Thanks! In addition to being seriously quotable, both movies also exhibit an outstanding variety of uses for the word 'fuck', which pleases me greatly.

    @Erin: I forgot about the T-wue Love part! I think that's when they start storming the castle and when my brains attention is diverted to multiple avenues, memory decreases exponentially.

    @Chicken's: Hahahaha! You are like the best commenter ever! Also, I too wondered about the Jr when I typed it. In my mind, he actually IS a Jr, but who knows? Where is Robert Downey Sr? As for the 'Morton' part, I am not sure where he is either. Let me know what you think about Wonder Boys!

    @Lamb: Harold and Kumar is one of my favorites! Also, in the interest of truth in advertising, I would like to reiterate that I was quite tipsy while watching 'Hot Tub Time Machine'. I did pay attention though, which can only bode well for the movies ability to entertain even the most distractible of minds.

    @Jon Paul: Anything that Will Ferrell says is pretty much instantly quotable. One I forgot to add is "Ma! The MEATLOAF!.... I never know what she's doing." from Wedding Crashers. His inherent Will Ferrell-ness seems to make odd strings of words into comic genius.

    @TB: I also forgot There's Something About Mary! How could I ever forget "How'd you get the frank above the beans?!"

    @soft nonsense: I feel the same way with entire relationships with old boyfriends and certain friends from college. Happy to be following!

    @Organic Meatbag: Thanks! I love TV shows too! No one was more quotable than the lovely and talented Lucille Ball. 'Arrested Development', '30 Rock' and the American version of 'The Office' all offer gems that are part of my daily vocabulary. Perchance I will create a Quotable TV post in the future?

    @Mainland Streel: Ahhh! Nacho Libre is the reason my friend Jordan and I call each other 'FACE'. As in "Get that corn outta my FACE!!!" I think you and Danny should pick up the accent from the Princess Bride priest next. Should make for interesting conversations? :)

    @WTWA: It is inconcievable that I forgot "Inconcieveable!". Almost a crime really. I'm gonna use it tomorrow in some really inappropriate situation to atone for neglecting its inclusion in this post.

    @Toriz: Good thing the really fantastic movie quotes are timeless! Eighty something years later and I still haven't seen Casablanca. But I still know when to slip a good 'Play it again, Sam' into a conversation.

    @Chicken: Let's duel. Although you should know, I am not left handed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hold up, I've got some to add (someone else may have, I don't know, I didn't read the comments).

    Breakfast club: "I heard a ruckus!" "Could you describe this ruckus?"

    Pulp Fiction: "DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?!"

    Anchorman: possibly more quotable than Princess Bride, among my favorites...

    "I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of important."

    "I'M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION!"

    "I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!"

    "...I immediately regret this decision."

    "This is worse than the time the racoon got in the copier!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE the first two movies, especially Princess Bride! I have a t-shirt with the whole "My Name is Inigo Montoya, etc" and on the back "You don't happen to have 6 fingers on your right(?) hand?"
    LOVE all the quotes in this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is not one line in "The Big Lebowski" that can be said without the accompaniment of an enormous smile.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anybody remember The Rocky Horror Picture Show, lol. How 'bout: Madness takes it's toll -Riff Raff

    ReplyDelete
  19. I missed the drunk post, so just reading it now. Hysterical.

    The Barry Manilow quote is my favorite!

    www.snafuliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Our priest (young enough to be a Princess Bride fan) said "MAWWWAGHHHGE. Mawaghge is woht bwings usss togebber todhaaaaay." when we were practicing the ceremony at our wedding rehearsal...true story.

    Also, Robert Downey Jr. totally does it for me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. "I love lamp." Fucking hilarious!!

    Oh, and The Princess Bride rules!

    ReplyDelete